Success! You're on the list.

Success! You're on the list.

Flaus closes $1.6M to develop eco-friendly electric flosser that cleans your teeth in 30 seconds

Image credits: Flaus

Flaus, a Los Angeles company that has developed the world’s first planet-friendly electric flosser, has been awarded first prize as Best Speed Pitch in the Health, Wearables, and Wellbeing category at the 14th annual SXSW Pitch competition in Austin. 

Raised $1.6M

The announcement comes after Flaus closed $1.6M in a pre-seed funding round. Flaus says it has successfully completed beta-testing with pre-order customers and is launching its electric flosser direct-to-consumer (DTC) in Summer 2022. 

“This is an incredible honor considering the many impressive companies that we shared the stage with,” said Samantha Coxe, CEO and Co-Founder of Flaus. “We have an unbelievable team behind Flaus and this win at SXSW is further validation of our innovative product and the early success we have had with our beta customers.”

From habit to delightful ritual

According to the CDC study, 80% of Americans know flossing regularly is important, but only 30% do it. To help change this behavior, the company has welcomed over 200 dental professionals into its ambassador program and a board-certified dentist and surgeon, Dr. Vivian Roknian, DMD, serves on the Flaus board of advisors.

 “I joined Flaus in their mission because their product is an effective, easy solution to finally get people to floss. Most people are surprised to learn that brushing only cleans 60% of a tooth’s surface and flossing is critical for cleaning the remaining 40% that a toothbrush cannot access,” said Dr. Roknian.

Founded by Samantha Coxe and Elli Hanson, Flaus aims to help people keep their teeth for life by transforming daily routines into delightful rituals. According to the company, the sustainable design of Flaus makes flossing your teeth quick, easy, and comfortable.

Image credits: Flaus

How does it work?

Flaus says the device uses real dental floss and has 8,000 sonic vibrations per minute, which allows the device to move quickly and gently between tight teeth, removing stubborn plaque and debris that a toothbrush cannot reach. 

The device is equipped with an ergonomic handle to easily clean hard-to-reach places. The electric flosser has a USB-C port for recharging, has a one-month battery life, is waterproof and portable.

The electric flosser is made out of compostable and biodegradable plastic. The floss heads can be replaced easily and each Flaus Kit comes with 90 refillable floss heads that use 95% less floss than the current ADA recommendation of 18 inches.

“With human-centric design, planet-friendly materials and a mission to transform oral hygiene routines into oral beauty rituals, we set out to create a solution that not only makes flossing less time consuming and painful, but also empowers you to put your morals where your mouth is,” said Elli Hanson, Co-Founder of Flaus.

Flaus became a public benefit corporation (PBC) under Delaware law in 2021 and is based out of Los Angeles, California. Check out the video below;

Reserve your device

Early adopters can visit the Pre-Launch Landing Page – – to reserve their Flaus Starter Kit with an exclusive SXSW invitation to become a part of the community of over 3,500 “Founding Flausers.” 

Related Posts

Get daily funding news briefings in the tech world delivered right to your inbox.

Enter Your Email
join our newsletter. thank you